Synoptic Project – Jar

My first step was to look at our concept art made by Izzy, so that I’d know what shape we wanted the jar to look like.

SquareJar

I started the jar by creating cube. I used the extrude tool twice to create the lip/rim. I beveled the edges as the glass would have sharp edges back then. Next, I hollowed out the model by deleting the top faces then, I duplicated the model and attached the two together to make the thick glass.

Jar Fail

I thought that I was done with the jar itself however when I moved onto the cork, I realised that I’d made the lip square shaped instead of a circle. So I started again, making the cube and making a cylinder and scaled it so that it would fit within the top poly with room so I can bevel the edges.

cylinderJar1

I used a Boolean difference tool which cut a circular hole at the top.

jarr

I used the extrude tool to start creating the lip. I duplicated the shape and scaled it down slightly to serve as a way to show thickness in the glass. I added an edge loop to the new cylinder on the outer shape and I extruded the top half. Finally, I combined the 2 shapes together and bridged the top borders together.

jarrrr

Jar wo cork

To create the liquid inside, I made a cube that’s the same size as the inside jar shape and I bevelled the edges so that it matched the shape. I also added a quite flat cylinder and put it on top and made sure that it fit inside the lip. Then I just combined the two shapes together.

potion

The cork was easy to make as I just got a cylinder, flattened it, rescaled the bottom inwards and bevelled the edges.

Cork

I placed the cork on top of the jar and with that, the model was finished.

JarLam
The finished model

My next and final step is to texture the jar. I made a plain, red lambert for the liquid and for the glass, I created a blinn and changed the settings to:

glassblin

This gave the effect of glass and I applied it to glass part of the jar. Lastly, I had to texture the cork. I did this by UVing the model and saving the UV as a PNG.

JarCorkUV
UV

Then I took the UV into Photoshop and covered the cork parts with an image of cork material that I found on textures.com.

JarCorkTex
Texture Map

I made the texture map into a normal map and specular map using a normal map generator online so that the model had the cork-like roughness and was shiny in the right places.

JarCorkNormal
Normal Map
JarCorkSpec
Specular Map

With the textures done, I applied them all to the model with this end result:


My next model to create is the conical flask.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s